The popularity of clutch bags and handbags for men is on the rise. Commonly referred to as a ‘manbag’, the tides have turned and these smaller styles of bag are bringing style and convenience to the modern man’s life as never before.
There has been a definite shift in the perception of the clutch or handbag, with men’s bags gradually shrinking in size over the past few years. As technology changes, so does fashion; for instance we rarely need to carry a laptop with us anymore, with smartphones and tablets taking up much less space in our bags.
During the Renaissance period, men would wear pouches attached to their belts to carry their money and valuables and it was only the invention of pockets that made these purses fall out of favour. They have been reinvented throughout the ages for many different purposes, but it was only in the second half of the 20th century that judgement would be passed on this style of bag, suggesting that the lines of gender were being blurred.
We now live in a much more open minded society, with life becoming less gender-specific. This has opened the floodgates for new fashions and more reinventions of old ones. Many stylish countries have long ago adopted the new bag styles, with the men of France and Italy embracing this smaller accessory as a must have item.
Celebrity culture has also had an influence in the opinion of men’s bags, with stars such as David Beckham, Ryan Gosling and Louis Theroux making the use of a smaller bag more fashionably acceptable.
If you are ready to give a man’s clutch or handbag a try, the basic rules to follow are;
- Keep it simple, you don’t need a brightly embellished bag, unless your intention is to make a statement!
- Choose a leather bag. This will look classically stylish and won’t wear out easily.
- A bag in brown or black will effortlessly fit in with your existing wardrobe.
- Use your handbag or clutch in the right scenario; it will look strange if you try to fit your gym kit into it!
- A clutch bag with a wrist strap will add an extra level of protection against theft, as will a handbag with a shoulder strap.
- Wear your bag with pride, knowing that you are part of the fashion elite!
Here are three of our favourite bags that we think you will love!